Remote work :
- A situation in which an employee works mainly from home and communicates with the company by email and telephone.Remote work was very rare a decade ago. Your parents or grandparents would have balked at the idea of employees regularly working from home. Those days working from home were usually only available as a special arrangement to accommodate families in specific cases.
Doesn’t it seem like a fairytale where you don’t have to get out of your pajamas and slippers to start your workday while sitting on your couch? Well, Work from home jobs are very much now a reality. Today, the acceptance for remote workplaces has increased affecting the quality of the work and lifestyle of the individual employee (if not implemented carefully and in a planned way).
According to many researches, most of the managers often worry about remote employees working less, mixing personal responsibilities with works. Decrease in communication and collaboration has been seen as the biggest issue among co-workers. Reddit CEO explains that remote didn’t work simply for them because there were too many times when we just needed to be able to walk over and tap someone on the shoulder and discuss a complex issue in depth, right away.
Two dominant factors: cost and productivity are mainly taken care of while choosing between remote and in-office workplace. So what’s next? What should your organization choose? There is no one particular answer. What works for some firms doesn’t work for others. Well, the new reality of course lies in the favor of open offices that are connecting employees to people in pajamas and slippers. The voices against the concept of working remotely have become meek as the current situation demands the same.
The secret lies behind ensuring productivity while working from home is a 13- letter word “COMMUNICATION”.
A bundle of habits and tricks, small and easy to adopt can be implemented to ensure 100 percent productivity while working from home-
- Face to face wherever you are using zoom call or Skype or thousands of other video calling apps that is common to everyone.
- A common shared channel to communicate with vendors, partners or customers.
- Sending memes or jokes in between breaks to your teammates so that you don’t lose that informal connection with your office buddies.
- Appreciate your teammates or colleagues through emojis or GIFs.
Alright, everything is set up, you in sweatpants, slippers, sitting on your couch, sipping your coffee, snack drawer just beside you, you’re all ready to work from your home. But wait, are we forgetting something?
Yes, the biggest question that remains unanswered even after this whole discussion is , will this new concept yield effective and efficient results?
- Experts say as long as you’re not sneaking off binge Netflix, you can actually be more productive when working from home.
- Working from home means you’ll learn to rely on self-motivation, self-discipline, focus, and concentration.
- From texting, Skyping, emailing, web meetings—out of necessity, you become very savvy in all of those.
- Since you’re not commuting and getting dressed, it’s adding three hours of stress-free productivity to your day. Plus, you won’t have the occasional annoyances of office life: interruptions, loud co-workers, chatter, et cetera.